Sunday, July 23, 2006

A Favorite of Mine...

I wanted to share this with y'all since it is one of my favorites. Mr. Hughes wrote poetry like I wish I could. Absolutely beautiful.


Daybreak in Alabama

When I get to be a composer
I'm gonna write me some music about
Daybreak in Alabama
And I'm gonna put the purtiest songs in it
Rising out of the ground like a swamp mist
And falling out of heaven like soft dew.
I'm gonna put some tall tall trees in it
And the scent of pine needles
And the smell of red clay after rain
And long red necks
And poppy colored faces
And big brown arms
And the field daisy eyes
Of black and white black white black people
And I'm gonna put white hands
And black hands and brown and yellow hands
And red clay earth hands in it
Touching everybody with kind fingers
And touching each other natural as dew
In that dawn of music when I
Get to be a composer
And write about daybreak
In Alabama.

Langston Hughes

3 Comments:

Blogger Rosemary said...

His poetry always sounds just right, doesn't it? I'm a lifelong Alabamian, and I can just hear him readn' it out loud in the local vernacular.

BV

7:17 AM  
Blogger Dana said...

Amen.

8:57 AM  
Blogger Sweet Home and Garden Carolina said...

Lovely. That's one poem about Alabama that I haven't read, and I've read a lot . How well I remember in my youth the smell of the rain hitting the Alabama clay. And of course the pine trees that dotted every landscape.

I left Alabama many years ago but it has never left me. This poem makes me so nostalgic.

6:49 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home


This Southern Women Webring site
owned by Dana
[ Prev | Skip Prev | Prev 5 | List | Stats
Join | Rand | Next 5 | Skip Next | Next ]
Powered by RingSurf!
Previous

Skip Prev 5

List Prev 5

Next

Skip Next 5

List Next 5

List All Random Site Join!


This Wild Poetry Ring is owned by Dana

The Writers’ Block
the creative corner of cyberspace
This site is owned by *Magnolia Memories and Dogwood Dreams*.

[ Next Site | Previous Site | Random Site | List Sites | Join ]

copyright © 2006 Dana Sieben