Monday, June 12, 2006

Lament for New Orleans

* I wrote this after Hurricane Katrina devasted New Orleans and the Mississippi coast.


Lament for New Orleans
(after the flooding of New Orleans by Hurricane Katrina)

Like a sci-fi novel-
apocalyptic,
empty city,
dead city of light.
Rotting, death groans
breaking the hearts of millions
who watch and weep
while civilization breaks down.
Rogue humans preying
on the weaker,
unhealthy victims of fate
who wait on help that isn't enough.
Not nearly enough.
Vacant city,
populated by the dead,
scavenged by the lawless,
poisoned and burning,
drowning in it's own sewage,
and calling to be saved.

2 Comments:

Blogger Jenna Harte said...

Hi Dana,
I just wanted to thank you for visiting my blog. I'm going to check out those southern speak websites. My husband told me to use "stop cuttin' the monkey shine" but I'm not sure anyone would get that...lol. I would like to know more about the Gonna Beez.

Thanks,
Jenna

12:03 PM  
Blogger Rosemary said...

That's a powerful lament for a pitiful situation. Thank goodness at least some of it has shown some progress since then. The shame is that not enough has changed since you wrote that.

On my way to Vote for you on BLOG VILLAGE.

12:16 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home


This Southern Women Webring site
owned by Dana
[ Prev | Skip Prev | Prev 5 | List | Stats
Join | Rand | Next 5 | Skip Next | Next ]
Powered by RingSurf!
Previous

Skip Prev 5

List Prev 5

Next

Skip Next 5

List Next 5

List All Random Site Join!


This Wild Poetry Ring is owned by Dana

The Writers’ Block
the creative corner of cyberspace
This site is owned by *Magnolia Memories and Dogwood Dreams*.

[ Next Site | Previous Site | Random Site | List Sites | Join ]

copyright © 2006 Dana Sieben